Monday, April 26, 2010

The Fat war begins!

Repeatedly, the fella up there proves to me that many of the things that I take for granted are something that can change very, very quickly if I am not too careful about valuing and taking an effort to keep them. For years, I have taken the lack of fat in my body for granted, arrogantly laughing at anybody who tried to warn me that there would be an inflection point beyond which I would rapidly start resembling a sea lion or a sea cow or whichever one of those creatures that looks like a genetically-modified-sausage-experiment gone wrong.

Well, as things turned out, a combination of laziness, lack of any kind of exercise, a new mess contractor in the last few months at IIMK who was probably in cahoots with exercise equipment manufacturers and the all-india bypass surgeon's association, and an eat-sleep-eat routine whenever I was at home have ensured that a nice layer of healthy-looking fat has amassed all over my otherwise lean frame, resulting in me reaching an all-time record of 59 kgs. Most people, when they weigh an elephantine 55 kg would be rather happy with this, but not me. While this does make me look a bit more human and less like a scarecrow in a particularly drought prone area, it does little good for my running timings, something which has pissed me off to no end. For while I don't mind being told that I look better than I did before, having to huff and puff my way through a mere 3 odd km run is not something that I take kindly to. So, despite what would seem like a nice progression towards an 'ideal' weight of 70 odd kgs, I am going to war. Nay, love handles (however tiny they are) and a 30-inch waste don't go with me ;)

No comments: