Sunday, April 18, 2010

Bangalored

I've never been a fan of big cities, though from my K experience, I can't seem to survive the small ones too well either. Pune has spoilt me by being neither here nor there. The IT boom did just enough to keep it apace with the rest of the booming urban centers of the country, but not enough to make it the overwhelming mess that larger Indian cities are.

Its been 2 weeks since I've been in Bangalore, and it has, very quickly, started getting to me. I feel somewhat out of sorts here. Thankfully, work and home are a mere kilometer or so apart, so from Monday to Friday, my world starts and stops in a forgotten, obscure little corner of Bangalore called Chalaghatta. Most Bangaloreans seem completely bewildered when I mention it, and the conversation very rapidly shifts to other topics, either due to a determined effort by them not to show what they really feel about the about the fact that I live in a place which they have never heard of, and would be, by consequence, not-so-great, or, more possibly, due to mere lack of interest. Chalaghatta seems to be in a bit of a time warp, a village inside a bustling city. So I have the worst of both worlds, a small village like place with no streetlights nestled in the middle of a city which comes to a standstill twice a day at its traffic signals. The city is a mere 5 minute drive from my house, but I have mustered the courage to do that drive only a couple of times so far.

I don't know how I can and would want to continue with this life, but as of now, I am pretty happy with this arrangement. Having ventured out a few times into the real city, and consequently getting stuck in the dreaded Bangalore traffic, I have no intentions of doing that twice every single working day.

No comments: