Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Some decent South Indian fare please...

You go into a new land with some expectations, and a bit of trepidation. I came here with quite a bit of the former, and not much of the latter. I don't mean that about life, though you can easily apply that there too. I talk about experiences culinary. South Indian food has always been an attraction, and I prefer it over anything else given half a chance. And so I came in here expecting the next 2 years to be an absolute delight, in food terms. Unfortunately, I did not quite know that Kerala is a wee bit different from the rest of South India when it comes to food. I came here expecting crisp, steaming dosas and piping hot and spicy sambar, which would be washed down with some superb filter coffee. Unfortunately, what I did end up with were the limpest, whitest dosas, which've just about been half a metre away from a pan I've ever come across. And sambar which was well.... I don't quite know how to put it. And the coffee.... somebody remind them that it's south India for heaven's sake. I guess making filter coffee is too much work, doing all that boiling and filtering. So they all just make instant coffee. Which, if I wanted, I could very well make myself. So here I am, in the heart of South India, eating and drinking stuff which would make the worst of Pune's south Indian eateries cringe. Baah.

No comments: